secondary air pump system

saintmoody

secondary air pump system

Post by saintmoody »

ok i have a 2001 beetle 1.8t auto and i can not get rid of p0411... checked and tested every part in the system everything operated perfectly, I even replaced most of the hoses/vacuum lines... i don't want to start replacing parts all willy nilly process of elimination style, so where i'm at now is vag com buying time. So I found this and would like input http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/shop ... stech-vcds
sainTMoody

2003 passat wagon v6 4 motion
2001 beetle gls 1.8t 5 speed auto
1998 passat gls 1.8t 5 speed tiptronic
2000 volvo v40 2.0t 4 speed auto
acsteitz

Re: secondary air pump system

Post by acsteitz »

Sorry, I can't actually comment on the diag tool you found but after looking around that web site I have found a different one that I am thinking of ordering. I realize what I am looking at is different but I would be interested to hear about your experience dealing with that site and whether the tool you get is all they claim it will be.

Andrew
gfmatthe

Re: secondary air pump system

Post by gfmatthe »

Not genuine tool. Ross-tech supply correct tool. Usually only work for a short period of time you get what you pay for. Can be lucky and find a good clone, but best to support genuine company. Understand cost is a factor.

Good luck with finding issue please post back your findings.

You say you have checked the full system, perhaps this may help:

Air is pumped from the pump to the valve on the side of the head. The solenoid is opened by the ECU and allows vacuum to go to the vacuum nipple on the valve. The kombi valve is bolted to the side of the head. Check the vac lines first.

To test it we pull vacuum on the valve nipple with a handheld vacuum pump. If it holds vacuum take the plastic hose that goes to it from the second air pump and try to blow through it. If not it is bad or the head could be clogged. If you can blow through it manually turn the second air pump on using large wires coming off the battery and see if it works. If it does you should be able to pull vacuum on the valve, trigger the pump, and air should come out the exhaust.

Go up under the bumper and check the second air pump, disconnect one of the plastic pipes it's not uncommon for them to get water in them and it ruins them.

Regards,
Gary.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic