VW Cabrio 6 speed auto trans hard shift when warm

cardoc1954

VW Cabrio 6 speed auto trans hard shift when warm

Post by cardoc1954 »

Matt this is my first post in your forum for VW so if i get something wrong sorry, just help me out a little,
Customer of mine brought me a 1999 VW Cabrio trans shifts fine when cold but shifts hard up and down also jerky when warm, lots of research later i found there's a problem with the valve body in trans wearing and this causes pressure loss thus shift problems,
rebuilt valve body from vw is $1025.00 exchange, I am looking for information of buying new or rebuild valve body for this car thats more reasonable and dependable. heres a clue as to what to look for as far as wear, the manual shift valve they are referring to is the one on the valve body that is controlled by the shifter inside the car, i have a pic but do not know how to post it here,

Inspecting the 09G for Manual Valve Bore Wear

Manual valve bore wear can cause low pressure and poor shift quality! This particular valve body is prone to excessive manual valve bore wear, especially in the “O.D.” position. This causes a leak which can be seen on our valve body testing machine.

Please check the manual valve bore for excessive wear by performing the procedure shown below.
Excessive Manual Valve Bore Wear - Test Procedure

Remove the manual valve from the bore.
Remove as much ATF as possible from the bore and valve using brake clean or a substitute and let dry.
Insert manual valve in the bore so that about 1/2 of the large middle land is visible (valve should be sticking out of valve body about 2 1/4”).
At this point, the manual valve should have little or no “up-down” or “side-to-side” movement.
LudwigVan

Re: VW Cabrio 6 speed auto trans hard shift when warm

Post by LudwigVan »

Have you scoured the usual suspects for a better price on the parts??

Im seeing solenoid bodys on EEuro for 900 USD

That would price a used one at about 400 plus shipping
cardoc1954

Re: VW Cabrio 6 speed auto trans hard shift when warm

Post by cardoc1954 »

Actually found a new one not rebuilt from a local transmission shop for 1000.00 3 days shipping so may choose this option if cannot find a better deal on new part, thanks for your information LudwigVan
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic