ABS, Brake Light and Beeping

ericbs1975

ABS, Brake Light and Beeping

Post by ericbs1975 »

Hello! I am taking on the task of reviving my Mother-in-law's 1999 Beetle. It has the ABS and Brake lights coming on accompanied by beeping periodically. Brake performance isn't degraded at all. Has anyone here successfully resolved this issue? According to the internet it appears the cause is often low voltage, < 12.3V with accessories on, with the resolution being to upgrade to a stronger alternator. If anyone has any experience I'd very much like to hear about it!

Thanks!
LudwigVan

Re: ABS, Brake Light and Beeping

Post by LudwigVan »

POp open the fuse box up front and inspect the wires for thermal damage and corrosion, that can be the source of Low voltage.

What's the voltage across the battery terminals at rest and At idle?
ericbs1975

Post by ericbs1975 »

Thanks for the reply! I need to get a new battery, The car has been sitting for a while and the current one is dead. Once I get it I was going to measure the voltage while turning on accessories. In the meantime I'll inspect the wires you mentioned as well as try and verify/measure the grounds.
LudwigVan

Post by LudwigVan »

You need a good, fully charged battery to test out electronics like ABS. Low nominal voltages will screw up in bizarre ways that are really difficult to troubleshoot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic