Do the early Passat V6 engines have a problem with overheating/blown headgaskets

Yoni

Do the early Passat V6 engines have a problem with overheating/blown headgaskets

Post by Yoni »

My only experience with VW, an older Passat but it had a problem with overheating, not sure if this is common problem with these engines or not, anyone else have a problem?
ig-88a

Re: Do the early Passat V6 engines have a problem with overheating/blown headgaskets

Post by ig-88a »

Barring issues with the thermostat, and its three-piece plastic housing leaking, or the lower coolant pipe which would become brittle and crack over time, I don't think there were really any inherent issues with 12v AAA VR6 engines overheating. The only issues I ever had with my AAA VR6 cooling system (in a GTI) was all of the parts I just mentioned. I do know that the timing chain on these is something that should be paid close attention to at around 100k, or preferably sooner. Its mostly the chain guides that will deteriorate over time and allow slack in the chain. The timing chain was the only chronic issue I ever heard mention of with these engines. I'm sure there have been plenty out there with blown head gaskets for one reason or another. But I don't believe its a really widespread thing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic