2005 1.8 oil pressure

Heinz57

2005 1.8 oil pressure

Post by Heinz57 »

I recently bought a 2005 wagon, my first vw, from a guy that overheated it once because of a coolant leak on the back side of the motor. I don't think it was overheated to bad because it didn't take much coolant to fill it back up. This is most likely the coolant flange from what I have read online. I can't wait to fix that..(sarcasm).

When I first got the car the motor wouldn't turn over with the starter. I was able to get it to turn over easily manually, and I spun the engine a bit by the crank bolt. When I started it for the 1st time it made the infamous chain tensioner noise but also made a metal trying to bind sound. I initially thought maybe the cam chain but when I pulled the valve cover all looked well. I have not heard the binding noise since the first two times I started the engine, it is now only the cam chain noise. It also had oil on the timing belt, probably from the crank seal but that was also a one time issue.

Since then I pulled the oil filter and manually pumped oil through the engine using a fluid transfer device screwed to the oil filter spot to make sure it wasn't all full of sludge, all appears well. With a fresh oil change I figured I would check the oil pressure....it was 0. I used the pre filter plug location to check. I don't think oil is pumping through the engine because it doesn't look there is fresh oil on top of the head.

Could the oil pump chain have broken? Could this chain have been the binding noise? How common is an oil pump failure on these engines? I know the pickup is known to get clogged but I would think there would still be a little oil pressure.

I am pulling the pan tomorrow to see what is going on.
Heinz57

Re: 2005 1.8 oil pressure

Post by Heinz57 »

Well....the oil pump is locked up, the bolt holding the gear on it was broken, the teeth on the crank gear are chewed off, and the oil pickup has a large hard buildup covering it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic