2014 PASSAT 1.8T WOLFSBURG EDITION FUEL PUMP

swanny

2014 PASSAT 1.8T WOLFSBURG EDITION FUEL PUMP

Post by swanny »

I'm new to VW. I just got this used & a month or 2 later (on a cold morning) the car stalled just before an intersection & wouldn't restart. wife called me so drove 3 mins there to push it to a parking lot to examine it. (2 other guys helped cause it was not going downhill!) trying to restart over the next few mins seemed to indicate a fuel pressure problem but it suddenly restarted & drove it home. total down time was abt 30 mins or less. i didn't see a fuel test port so looked online & i read you use the OBD II CAN scanner to read fuel pressure - less intrusive & easier. picked up that type of scanner & ran it with no problems but fuel pressure seemed to be slightly erratic. next day was cold again & i started it with the scanner in & it stalled after abt 5+ mins! the fuel pressure went between 0 and 10! the pressure stayed very low for abt 20+ mins and would build up some but drop again if i tried to start it. it seemed i had to wait without starting for it to build up to normal pressure. i had a warranty on it so took it to shop telling him to start it 1st thing in the morning & run it for a few mins. result: the fuel pressure sending/control/regulator unit error & replaced it for free due to the warranty!
oldironsights

Re: 2014 PASSAT 1.8T WOLFSBURG EDITION FUEL PUMP

Post by oldironsights »

Good deal!
It sure helps to have troubleshooting assistance from a scanner/reader/analyzer.
I have learned to rely on a laptop with the required diagnostic software installed.
swanny

Re: 2014 PASSAT 1.8T WOLFSBURG EDITION FUEL PUMP

Post by swanny »

more details:
it happened mid October 2015 in east coast VA. the fuel pump control module was "shorting internally". odometer miles were 43.3k
FYI
RE the laptop, what software do you use & which cable? may look into that in the future.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic