Tiguan vs. BMW M5 street crash

Matt
Site Admin

Tiguan vs. BMW M5 street crash

Post by Matt »

Last night I had the displeasure of watching a Tiguan (recent/new) hit a ~2004ish BMW M5 broadside at around 35mph.

The BMW crept out into a break in northbound traffic, and blindly, made a break across the southbound traffic. The driver's view was 0, nothing, completely blocked.

It happened 20 feet in front of me and my son. We were in my 1997 Volvo 850.

I left a break in the northbound traffic to not block the intersection. The BMW took advantage of that to cross busy Downing Street. So far so good. I remember watching them nose out halfway into the intersection and thinking Surely they'll not cross the other lane until they can see. Surely they won't try it blind. Surely.

And just as sure, the driver gunned it and POW the Tiguan driver had no time.

The Tiguan struck the BMW full broadside. The BMW spun out of the intersection and impacted the curb, and frankly, almost rolled onto its roof. I was looking full-on at its underside, exhaust, etc., as the car decided to roll or not. It chose not to roll. It was way up on its side for about a second. The Tiguan stopped in the cross street.

I was shocked there were no ambulance-ride injuries. There were four of five people in each car, including a 3 month old baby in the BMW.

Twenty five years ago two cars hitting each other like that would have been a grisly disaster.
oldironsights

Re: Tiguan vs. BMW M5 street crash

Post by oldironsights »

What is it that the old folks keep repeating?
Is it " They Don't Build Them Like They Used to"?
Often referring to the automobiles of yesteryear that weighed three tons & could be repaired by any third grade dropout or prison escapee in ones back yard due to a lack of safety or pollution restraints.
I say "Thank GOD!"!!!
There are bad folks in this world who drive, & there are good folks in this world who make bad driving decisions. Most bad driving decisions are due to impatience or impairment.
Just as our US second amendment allows us to protect ourselves & our families from bad folks, these wonderful automobiles from manufacturers that start with "V" protect their occupants from these types of drivers.
Volkswagen & Volvo employ great engineers that design vehicles to sacrifice themselves to protect the occupants.
After being injured in American made vehicles that were hit from behind (Both vehicles were destroyed while no passive restraint devices were activated), I decided to make a change.
First a 2015 VW Passat Limited & then a 2001 Volvo S80 to back up the VW. (both are commuter cars)
Both vehicles have high safety ratings.
Many vehicular collisions are traumatic. Better for the vehicle to suffer the worst of it than the occupants.
Personal injuries are more expensive & the lingering pain limits your abilities, energy & enthusiasm.
Whether it will be me or someone else that is impaired or makes a bad decision, I feel confident my VW, Volvo or Ram Quad cab will sacrifice themselves in order for me to enjoy another sunrise! :)
Let us give thanks they don't build em' like they used to!
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Agreed. Today, more than half of new cars sold of every size can do a good job of keeping you out of the hospital or morgue after an accident. S80s are extremely safe, but not just that, they were extremely safe starting in 1998 (1999 model year). Same with 850s and all other Volvos. My 850's doors are crazy thick... perhaps 5-6 inches. That's a pre-1992 design.

Volvo lost their advantage in the 1990s and 2000s because of computers. Computer-aided design leveled the playing field, and even economy Korean cars became safe(er). If you go back to the 1980s and look at ads, few car makers beyond Volvo mentioned safety. Now they all do.

Government safety regulations followed this trend. The regulations are only there because industry and design can support them, not the other way around.

(I was surprised at how little damage the Tiguan took in that accident. Likewise, I'm a little sad an M5 had to die, even though they're not a rare car. Take a 1980s M5 on the other hand... those are rare.)
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 »

I hate to see an E39 M5 get totaled. That is one of BMW's best ever. Of course some current E39 M5 owners may see this as an organ donor opportunity.......

Oh, about the Tiguan...VW can build and sell another if it is by chance written off.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic