Scirocco

bubbaguppy

Scirocco

Post by bubbaguppy »

The last VW I owned was a 1974 Scirocco.It was a revolutionary car, but it had a lot of issues.
It came to a sad end.
I'm glad matthew launched this site and I am happy to respond to his request to create an account and post to this forum.
drummertom

Re: Scirocco

Post by drummertom »

I have always wanted a Scirocco. Always thought they were super cool.
vwbusfan

Post by vwbusfan »

I had a 1974 Scirocco as well. Cool car but I agree it had many issues.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I never see first gen Sciroccos any longer :-(

My friend had one in high school, in the late 1980s. I spent a good amount of time in that car with him, driving around trying to find parties that didn't exist.
pedal2mtal

Post by pedal2mtal »

I currently have a 1980 Scirocco which is parked out back of my house and needs to be finsihed. I agree, you do not see them on the roads. I can tell you that in York, PA I have seen maybe 2 or 3 in the last 10 yrs! I also own a 1990 Corrado g60, which was the replacement car after the scrirocco here in America, but I don't see a section for it here. (It was sold in the US 1989-1995). I also take care of a 1998 Volvo v70xc.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Added Corrado forum! Thanks for the suggestions, pedal.
litor

Post by litor »

I had a 77 Scirocco in 1989. Took me through school and work but you're right; I think i replaced 6 fuse boxes because they kept shorting out (all used of course)..Always dreamed about owning the newer model. Good memories.
Boljeis

Post by Boljeis »

I owned 2 MK 1 Scirocco's. Back then i thought they were one of the most beautiful hot hatches ever designed. My only lament was the anemic motors we got here in the States. This plus the fact that I couldn't help comparing it power wise to my other current car, a 1974 Celica GT which had a transplanted 2 liter twin-cam in it.

The first one was a loaded 1981 Metallic Grey "S" I bought in Virginia: 5-speed, sport seats and a cool front air dam. The PO installed upper and lower stress bars and I never had so much fun tossing a car around corners and winding roads. I took it with me to Ontario Canada in the late 80's when I lived there temporarily. Even after taking very good care of her she repaid me one afternoon, as I was lining up in a Wendy's take out, by having the connecting rod bearing give out on me. This happened in 1989. I felt so betrayed and was so upset I promptly advertised the car in the town's local car trader and priced the car dirt cheap. Apparently when the local Canadian VW guys learned in the ad it was an S model, I happily found myself in the middle of a bidding war especially between two guys who were lusting after it. It didn't hurt that apart from the blown motor the car was in mint condition. I went home selling the Scirocco for CA$1250.00 to a Dad and son team who came by with a gorgeous red Euro look MK1 Golf GTI. They couldn't have been happier. I couldn't have been happier! The Dad said he would give the GTI to his son and keep the Scirocco for himself, saying he had a built motor in his garage waiting for a new home.

Heading back home to the States the VW bug never left me and I found a clean metallic Champagne-colored 1978 that served me well for 5 years. I remember installing a Techtonics cat-back system that really helped with the performance and sounded great. I upgraded the suspension and also upgraded the rims with 16 x 7.5 ATS Type 10's. I did buy a 268 degree hydraulic cam but never did get to install it before I sold the car to my office-mate.

These days I live vicariously admiring these awesome MK1 Scirocco's by watching all those European hill climb videos on Youtube. :)

I wouldn't mind having a 3rd go at it if I find the right one Those hillclimb videos made me want them again, lol!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic