The hate is strong for VW

Matt
Site Admin

The hate is strong for VW

Post by Matt »

http://alltrackworld.com/volkswagen-is ... ed-brands/
The emissions scandal which dogged the German company last year has propelled it into seventh place globally (fourth in the UK) on the list – behind Shell, Monsanto and the World Bank.
labans

Re: The hate is strong for VW

Post by labans »

Yep! All the folks/customers I know who own VDubs in the emissions scandal category are VERY angry.
But I do not understand why----here is what I tell everyone (after 55 years in the auto repair end of things):
1. Shut up please because VW is going to PAY YOU MONEY for absolutely nothing. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!!!! You WILL get paid!
2. No one can ever FORCE you to take your car in and have it flashed to some new standard that you will not like.
3. If you want to comply and have your car flashed but still want your power and mileage, then just do it and then go buy a chip and reprogram the engine yourself. About 30 million people already do that in this country for ALL makes of cars.
4. Stop whining---VW's are really great cars! Nothing can change that! You know that or you would not have bought one. If this is not true for you then sell your damn car and shut up again, please.
5. If you are angry at VW for cheating then HOW FREAKING MAD are you at George Bush junior and Dickhead Cheney for LYING ABOUT WMD's in IRAQ. You cannot argue this point as it is now written in history by all involved. They LIED and CHEATED much worse than VW, so shut up again, please.
All the Best for enjoying these wonderful cars!
mellcomm

Post by mellcomm »

I think this will blow over quick - they're making a bigger deal of this than they did about all the faulty air bags shipped in from Takata for 6 years.

Steve
theWIFES_S70

Post by theWIFES_S70 »

I really don't see the problem with this whole emissions problem. I think drivers should be happy that VW set it up so that your car ran without emissions restrictions! (I wish Volvo would do that for our S70! ) I really think the emissions regulations in, say NY, are so draconian. :ugeek:
saintmoody

Post by saintmoody »

"volkswagens are great cars"... sure if you want a permanent project, they are my favorite car of all time but I have never in all my volkswagens ever owned a dependable one. from my first 1957 bug, the golf I got brand new in 1998 everyone in between (1969 bug 1600 dp, 1984 audi 4000s,1986 audi 4000s Quattro, 1986 gti 8v, 1987 jetta gli 16v, 1994 jetta 8v, 1994 golf 8v)to the three I own now it has always been a good day when they operate without something random to full on catastrophic failure... comfy, stylish, sporty and safe for sure...
sainTMoody

2003 passat wagon v6 4 motion
2001 beetle gls 1.8t 5 speed auto
1998 passat gls 1.8t 5 speed tiptronic
2000 volvo v40 2.0t 4 speed auto
GregD

Post by GregD »

I suspect the number one comment in the competitor's boardrooms the day after the story broke was "Damn! Why didn't we think of that?

They will survive this and, as a prior poster stated, no one will be forced to have their car re-flashed. Many will, some of whom will regret it, but a lot of them probably won't bother to. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me to see states put something in place requiring proof of updating the software to allow an emission inspection to be performed (or be subjected to the evil tailpipe test). CA will be first, followed by NY.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

My mom took the diesel emissions thing personally. She was genuinely, emotionally angry, hurt even. She had a TDI Sportwagen I've mentioned here before.

To me, a response like hers was a gross overreaction. It's like getting angry at a computer.

She dumped the Sportwagen and got a 2016 CC, which I've written about here also. Made no sense to me.
forumoto

Post by forumoto »

Yes it is hated because they have caused their system to be so complicated to deal with especially the introduction of this Component Protection, has cause independent shops unable to work with them more. they have also forgot that third world countries used to buy their cars, both used and new brands and back in their countries it is more being repaired by the independent shop rather than the dealer, therefore the introduction of this component protection on essential items, has cause fall back in those third countries to service the new cars which has component protection..

I remembered In Africa VW were used a lot from the 80's to 2005.

When the new component protection was introduced, VW buyers has lost interest because the cost involve to take off such security off from this items are so much headach. Not only africa but other third world countries as well... I charge VW to compare their sales of cars to third world counties gone the days to now from 2006 make and above,

both used and new cars
labans

Post by labans »

Forumoto:
Can you please list the exact "protected" components about which you are speaking?
MyDogsPA

Post by MyDogsPA »

labans wrote: 2. No one can ever FORCE you to take your car in and have it flashed to some new standard that you will not like.
You don't live in California, do you?

I own 2 TDIs, an '09 Jetta and a '15 Golf. The Jetta doesn't have DEF injection, so if the 'fix' is for VW to force a buyback of the cars (because adding a DEF system would be too costly and take 3 years to implement) , I won't be able to register it despite it having another 8 to 12 years of life left in it (only 88,400 miles so far). It's paid for, so I wasn't planning on a car payment for another 8 years, minimum. So if they buy the car back I most likely won't get enough $$ to buy an equivalent car. That will force me into a car payment.

My wife wont' be happy. The Jetta is her car and she likes it FAR better than her '00 Volvo S80. She does NOT want to give it up!
'92 F-150; 39k miles
'09 Jetta TDI
'15 Golf TDI
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic