Vintage VW's

ibvwholic

Vintage VW's

Post by ibvwholic »

Greetings all,

While I currently have a stable of old Volvo's, my first car was a 1968 Bug in 1981. I wish I still had the car. My tastes, car-wise, are vintage as I like the simplicity of design and ease of maintenance (and smog exemptions at times). My '68 had a 1600 with a Holley Bug-spray carb when I got it.

My Dad and I began dismantling it and we had a local guy assist with a rebuild to 1835cc, a single Solex carb and a mild Crower cam. I threw an S&S Headers dual exhaust on it so it sounded a bit nastier, but I never did improve the carb situation. Got deployed, got married, came home...sold it in '92 I think. It was in decent shape but needed a complete rebuild again.

Wife #2 loves older cars as well and wouldn't mind having a pre-'67 bus ($$,$$$.$$) at some point. I'd like another sedan, notchback or Ghia possibly.

I'd found the Volvo site very informative for those who like to tackle their own maintenance and I think this VW site will be equally helpful, especially for the air-cooled crowd.

Best regards,

Chris
bugged-out

Re: Vintage VW's

Post by bugged-out »

Post 2----------------------
I of course own a Volvo. Red 96 GLT.
She's the daily beater. Wife loves her old Volvo and keeps trying to get me to buy a cross country "VAGON" :)
But I just keep getting Subarus instead! lol
Had many VW over the years.
1st was a 65 1300. Still my favorite.
Had 8 beetles at one time back in the 80's.
Sold the last Vw in 2014, it was a 73 Super Beetle.
pre-2000 Subaru's are my main interest that replaced the bug love. 2.2 boxers are bullet proof!
And they get around even better than old beetles in snow + have the added benefit of something called HEAT!..........lmao
Cheers
have owned-
1965 1300 Bug to 1973 Super Bug
1967 & 1970 Karmann Ghia
Vans starting with 1960 Camper Bus to 1970 Transport
Few Baja's
A dune buggy
A Bradley GT2
an old too fast Jetta :twisted:
alas....no Bugs now as of 2014.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic