Best VW to buy

swaneez

Best VW to buy

Post by swaneez »

I'm a Volvo guy, with 2 sons looking for cars, both want manual trans, looking around the 2003 -2007, figured VW a good choice, diesel or gas.
Looking for suggestions from the crowd as to what to look out for, big repairs (like timing belt etc) that should be considered, particular models with particular issues, are TDI's still ok in spite of the recent media coverage. I just know from Volvo experience that there are "things to know" when shopping. Thanks!!
oldironsights

Re: Best VW to buy

Post by oldironsights »

Looking for a manual instead of an automatic may prove both a blessing & a curse.
Autos are more plentiful, more troublesome & more expensive.
A manual gearbox will be tougher to find, but will be less troublesome & should cost less.
I have not owned a VW from the years you posted, so I cannot advise on a choice.
Find a used car with a history of being well-cared for. Don't limit yourself to one make or model.
Find one or several that fit the driver & the drivers needs & expectations.
Then search for the best example that is in your budget.
Then get tools & repair information to keep the car in working order.
Better to DIY as much as possible, but make sure there is an ethical & knowledgeable mechanic in a nearby reputable shop that can take on a more advanced repair.
Good luck.
BlueWagon

Re: Best VW to buy

Post by BlueWagon »

I definitely agree with the previous post. Look for an example that was well cared for. Avoid the automatic, and buy a German-made model if you can find one. Your kids will love the fact that the GTI is almost exclusively made in Germany. The 1.8t and the 2.0l naturally aspirated are great engines with regular maintenance. Don't limit yourself to 2003. The 01 and 02 1.8 turbo engines are still great even though they are tuned to slightly less power, and the body styles are the same.

The TDIs are great cars if you can find one that was taken care of. I've also had terrible experiences with mk4 TDIs. The issues seem to stem from turbo and intake issues. The engines themselves are always rock solid. These old diesels always come at a premium though.

Good luck
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic