I drove a 2010 Jetta 2.5 5-speed, and it was...

Known as the NCS (New Compact Sedan) the Jetta mk6 was announced in 2010. It's larger and cheaper to produce than the mk5 Jetta making the vehicle more competitive against rivals.
Matt
Site Admin

I drove a 2010 Jetta 2.5 5-speed, and it was...

Post by Matt »

excruciatingly underwhelming. It had 60k miles and they wanted $6500. Decent car, well kept, handsome gauge cluster and dials.

But man, that 2.5 five-cylinder engine was lethargic. It sounded bad, and there was nobody home when I called up the final half of the throttle. Nobody. Home.

Coming from a modded Volvo 850 turbo, also 5-cylinders, this VW felt like it was on a beach vacation in the South Pacific, reachable only by telegram on Tuesday mornings, delivered by a local who also runs the town bodega.

The clutch was nice, and the gearbox was happy running up and down the gears. It reminded me how much I miss manuals.

Car & Driver spoke about the weakness of this 2.5 years ago, but I wasn't prepared for the lethargy. It had the enthusiasm of a sulking 14-year-old boy asked to mow the lawn.

Ok, enough beating up on the poor Jetta. It was otherwise a fine car, and I would have bought it had the engine held a little more spice.