1985 Jetta GLI

dahammer

1985 Jetta GLI

Post by dahammer »

This was my first Jetta, bought it new because I loved the look of the dark Grey with the red stripe that replaced the chrome on the door trim or whatever it was called. Every dealer I spoke to wanted sticker, I think it was $10,500 back then. Had to order it or it was a dealer trade, but a dealer in Mount Holly (NJ) knocked off $500 from list. The car came in without the red stripe, darn! I still took delivery. It was a blast to drive and my first car with a sun roof, manual crank though.

I remember taking my boss on a sales call and we exited the highway at a high rate of speed and took the corners pretty hard. Of course my GLI stuck like glue to the pavement, but my Mercedes 560SEL-driving boss peed his pants. I wish I had a photo of this car, but it is just a distant memory.

But, like a nitwit, I traded it in two years later towards an '87 Pontiac 6000 STE. I always wanted a car with suede leather seats and the electronic dash board was icing on the cake. The girl I was dating at the time thought I was hot sh!t and married me. Just celebrated 25 years of wedded bliss.
Ended up putting over 122k miles on that STE and my GM 100,000 mile extended warranty came in handy when the transmission started to slip at 99,600 miles. Got it replaced by Aamco under warranty.