1997 Jetta GLS 2.0

Papa1

1997 Jetta GLS 2.0

Post by Papa1 »

This car has been annoyingly dependable. That is to say, I did not purchase the car, as it was given to me after I had a collision with a HERD of elk in my previous car. (Different topic) While it has had/has some quirks, it is very reliable.
One quirk....The temp light has been on for 3 years. The temp, according to the gauge and performance, and fluid level is fine, but the light persist. I have researched a bit and heard of others who have spent considerable time and expense but have not solved it. So I ignore it.
Bigger quirk...The ignition switch or a relay (In the column I've been told) is sensitive to very hot days. It will not make the connection when you first get in (When things are scorching hot) but once you get it to start, after you drive a bit, and the car cools down (On the inside) it will be fine after that. Mostly a problem when the wife drives it for some reason(?!)
However, as stated above, the car just keeps on keeping on. It was revived from being washed off the driveway in a flood. Climbs snow covered dirt roads at 8000 to 9000 ft in elevation.

Not a bad gift.