Won't shift

broadbeard

Won't shift

Post by broadbeard »

Bought a 99 Jetta GL last year for a college car for my son. The Jetta had 252,000 miles on it and was saved from the junk yard. Replaced all belts, plugs wires, front struts, brakes & rotors. Clutch was replaced this summer. My son drove it home for Christmas and said the car wouldn't shift, happened just as he was coming into town. My mechanic is unable to get it in his shop and the car is still in my driveway, the gear shift does not represent the correct gear, can't find reverse, in certain positions it seems the car is in reverse and a forward gear at the same time, the car doesn't move when the clutch is released and you can smell the clutch. Bad thing is the weather is very crappy in the midwest and I don't have a garage. I believe the shift linkage input shaft is sticking and not allowing it to go into the correct gear. The car won't move under its own power, does anyone know what is going on and is it a quick fix, at least so I can get it into a garage?

Other than this issue, the car is great. super gas mileage, and handling
broadbeard

Re: Won't shift

Post by broadbeard »

Update: Finally was able to drag the car onto a dolly and towed to a repair shop. The car is stuck in gear and requires a rebuild or replacement, would not roll even when clutch depressed. Currently looking for a used transmission. Will install a bushing kit for the shifter and linkage, the slop that is in the shifter is the likely cause of the transmission failure.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic