Strange knock from front end of MK4 Jetta wagon

Veggieguy

Strange knock from front end of MK4 Jetta wagon

Post by Veggieguy »

Hello,

My first post.

About a year ago, we redid everything (ourselves) on the front end of my son's 2003 diesel Jetta - bearings, bushings, tie rods, everything. It now has a slight clunking when breaking. We have re-tightened the castle nut, we have pushed and pulled, we have walked along side - all to no avail in finding the clunk. Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Michael
labans

Re: Strange knock from front end of MK4 Jetta wagon

Post by labans »

Hm----clunk only occurs when you brake? Then I would first dis-assemble all the brake components on that side and re-assemble them in perfection.
Then you can check again whilst "Braking" to see if the clunk is still there. If the clunk persists then we can go to the next obvious choice.
Good Luck----
autoperdu

Re: Strange knock from front end of MK4 Jetta wagon

Post by autoperdu »

You may also want to check your control arm bushings. I went cheap on the control arms and found that the new ones' rear bushing was toast relatively quickly. In the end I "pressed" out the old bushings on the original control arm and replaced, the front bushing is not as critical as the rear, I went with an HD bushing that is apparently used on the audi tt and does not have the voids that the stock one has. Or you could go poly, just wasn't shure I wanted to deal with the squeaking - personal preference.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic