How does the new Golf compare to earlier ones?

mkaresh

How does the new Golf compare to earlier ones?

Post by mkaresh »

Owners of the current Golf and GTI--which previous generations have you also owned? How do you feel the new car compares to them?
3g3t7i

Re: How does the new Golf compare to earlier ones?

Post by 3g3t7i »

I have owned a 1994 Golf GL and a 2002 337 GTI and an Audi A3 3.2 Quattro. My son owned a 1998 2.0 GTI. I just purchased a 2016 GTI S 2 door 5 speed. The latest version is quite impressive to drive. The handling and acceleration are the best yet. The EA888 is always ready to provide power as needed in fact I unintentionally chirped the tires in second gear last night. I think car makers have finally figured out how to really cut the margin in materials and construction. In other words it seems kind cheap in some ways, but I'm not sure that is the right way to say it. Specifically the body panels seem thin. When I compare the feel of my 337 to this car there appears to be a difference in the feel of the materials. The other issue I have is the car seems to wander a bit which I can't explain other than to think that maybe it has something to do with the electric steering. Overall though I really enjoy driving the car and appreciate the nice cabin and all the electronic features. I bought this car as a back up to my Cayman S Black Edition so in some ways I'm biased when it comes to build quality and performance, but again the new MK7 GTI is no slacker. It will be interesting to see how it performs with an ECU flash.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic